Friday, July 25, 2014

Costa Rica and Pura Vida

Monteverde seemed to be the apex of the trip for me.  Not only was that when we crossed the Continental Divide, it was when the reality of going home began to set in.  We had several more towns with one and two night stays.  I could feel it, a bit of sadness in my soul. I love Costa Rica, the people, the wonderful ecosystem.  I believe one could ask two questions a day about the environment, flora or fauna, for a lifetime and still never know everything about Costa Rica. Perhaps that's what appeals to me, the mystery's still there. 
You may recall this was a study abroad class called Tropical Ecology.  We had group discussions with our instructor several times throughout the trip and they were always inspiring. They kept us focused. One of the regular questions was what did you learn about the tropics you would have not fully appreciated from just reading the text.  My answer is: everything.  The people, the humidity, the cross winds, feeling the effects of Boyles Gas Law, seeing fauna I had only seen on Nova or National Geographic shows.  Seeing them face to face, watching their activities and seeing them in their natural environment.  I could not have learned any of that from the text alone.  I would definitely recommend going if you want to really have a tactile experience learning about the tropics.
Today will be my last blog entry, so I will end with some photos and call it a wrap.  Thanks to those of you who tuned in.
One last think I wanted to mention, the term "Pura Vida". When we first arrived, we were told the term and when it was used and an attempt was made to get a robust,






group Pura Vida.  It was followed by some mumblings of an apparently shy group to use the phrase when we were not sure what it meant.  "Pura Vida" means "Pure Life" and by the end of the trip, I definitely understood exactly why the people said that.  They do live a Pure Life.  I for one am glad they welcomed me, taught me the history, flora and fauna as well as the culture of this wonderful place.  I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment