Tuesday, July 15, 2014

La Fortuna- The name and the story.

In 1968, the then named "Cerro Arenal" erupted violently on the 29th of July at 7:30am. The area was believed to have been an extinct volcano.  It was discovered that it was not, in fact, an extinct volcano but a very alive volcano that is active even today.    www.arenal.net/arenal-volcano-1968-eruption.html
 Above and right is the new Church of LaFortuna and an amazing public garden around the church.



A drain in the dam infrastructure just below the dam.


 This is the area of the old cemetery from the pre-eruption(1968) area of LaFortuna.  Some of the old grave markers still exist.  It has a feel, a vibe to the area, something special happened here.  I have traveled to Auschwitz, Germany to see the place where the concentration camp was.  This place had a similar feel to the air, look to the earth.   There were clues there as well, what happened long ago, what could the trees and stones that sit before me tell me if I could understand their words. 


 I felt such a strong sense of presence here.  I was not alone in number or in thought.  I kneeled next to the grave to the left, put my hand on the headstone that still fought through the elements to remind me, and prayed.  I prayed for the people of LaFortuna, present and past.  I asked they receive good fortune for their distress.  A time for the people to gather and eat and drink and dance, in the shadow of this grand place.  I was reminded how small we are as a people in the true scheme of things.  I felt connected, like I have only a few times in the past, connected to something bigger something still unexplored by me.  I was sincerely moved by this place.  I will never forget the feelings I had at Auschwitz or here.  Very different history, very similar feelings.
 Another grave to remind the tourists, this is a place to be revered. 
 Christian Aleya our amazing tour guide showed us all over Costa Rica.
 And I did mention dancing right??
 We docked near one of the land masses still present here.  I was told in 3 months, none of what we were seeing would be visible.  It would all be under water.  So I was glad for the glimpse into the past, from the present, and into the future of this beautiful place.
 We decided this was a pig skull, likely left from previous barbecues, it had a bullet hole square between the eyes.
I hiked a bit from where we docked.  So overcome with the feeling of this place.  The enormous red ants reminded me quickly to get back on the beaten path.  They burn like fire!!!
 It was a very relaxing day of transport, if you are going to take a taxi to Monteverde, the best way is across the lake.  Two hours shorter and look at the scenery!!
 One of the coves to the left, and below, it took the excellent equipment of Emily DeMoss to identify this bird who appropriately posed for us, wings outstretched and proud.  At first, my thoughts were in the Heron family, and I had about decided that was my official attempt at an ID when I noticed this bird has webbed feet!!!! Back to the drawing board, while it took only a few minuites to locate once I got in "zen" mode with my field guide.  Below is the very patient Anhinga (Anhinga anhinga) a female specimenShe was so patient as the Captain turned the boat and this novice bird watcher took in as much detail as possible.

 Some more interesting equipment for the dam.

Off to Monteverde, we had a memorable stay there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment