Saturday, July 12, 2014

Day four, we started early and hiked up to "The Point" and when we were super close, the guide said it was not safe to proceed.  One thing I learned in Costa Rica is step where your guide steps and if he says it's not safe. Then it's not safe.  To the left is a house I would love to live in. We are still in Cahuita at this point just off the beaten path.



Banana Tree (Musa paradisiaca)
 

Ludrick showing us how the fruit of the Coca plant (Theobroma cacao) looks good from the outside, but in the inside the fruit is not edible.  At one time the whole coast of the Caribbean was mostly cocoa plantations and the cocoa was shipped to Europe for an amazing profit.  A fungus infected the trees and killed them all. The locals did not know what to do without the cocoa, so they sold their land cheap.  Little did they know there were other crops that could be planted.
Above Ludrick is showing us the Sleeping Plant(Mimosa pudica).  When you touch it,  it folds up instantly when touched.


 More of the amazing, lush green hues of the forest. The hike was about a 60 degree incline.  Lots of red ants in your Keens and I had to use good water to rinse them out of my shoes.  We were a little unadvised as to how to dress on this hike and the pace was fast. Myself and another of the group really struggled. I slipped coming down the muddy 60 degree trail and one leg behind me and another in front. Hurt my back, so I was a little fussy on the way down. I recall some colorful language on this hike!! The guides carried my pack to lessen my load and I made it down alive.  Had to miss the Bri Bri tribe that evening due to back pain.  One night with ice and heat alternately and I was back up and on the go the next day.  It was a temporary setback, but I didn't miss but two activities after that.  This was a very fast paced trip.  Very physical and I am pleased and know I can do anything I set my mind to.It was as much a mental challenge as a physical one.




(Dendrobates auratus) According to a website from the St Louis Zoo, "Scientists are investigating the potential of one of the frigs' toxins-called epibatidine-for use as powerful new painkiller that may have the benefits of morphine without it's damaging side effects" (www.stlzoo.org/animals)

No comments:

Post a Comment